The next few days will be dedicated to posting ruminated-on content gathered from the Turn Your Beat Into a Book event I attended.
Bill Lueders was on the panel and offered this advice:
- Don’t write a book on your beat.
- Start by thinking about audience.
- Writing a book is easier than getting it published.
- Write for a press. Most press have a larger mission you need to fulfill.
- Not state or local interest. Aim for international interest.
- Be flexible on how you define success.
- Don’t expect to make money.
- Be a reader. 30-50 books a year.
- Inaudible. Sorry.
- Be emotionally strung, crush indifference.